Project Subaru WRC S5 lamp pod (part 3)

The story continues. In part one and part two you read all about me collecting the parts for the lamp pod installation. The pod was still in Yekaterinburg as work in progress. And I ordered Hella lamps.

Now I’ll show you how I went from there. Without the pod I just started to do some small preperations on the wiring. I measured the wires and the cable zip on the car. Earlier this year I removed the insulation. Now I could use three of the holes to add the clips for holding the hose, only needed to drill two extra holes. The connector will be between the first and second clip to hold it as tight as possible.

image

Next step was to cut the wires on about the same length of the cable zip. As I’m running four 100w lamps I decided to go safe with a double wiring system, they are completely seperate from each other, accept for the + wire to the relays. I want to turn them all on by using one button.

I use a sealed connector (5-pin) to have the pod removable from the hood. The sealed connectors are perfect to prevent any water damage by driving in heavy rain etc.

image

Half way with the main cable:

image

A close-up photo of the connector. I labled the whole system to make difference between the two types op lamps: pencil (white) and head (yellow/green). In case something is wrong I can address it to the right system and leave the other one.

image

image

image

And then! Just before Christmas the pod arrived from Russia.

image

Yuriy packed it very well and it took me a while to do the unpacking, but is was fun! Finally I got it out without any problems. Sorry for the bad picture…in front of the lamp pod there’s a set of WRC S5 bonnet vents as well, but I’ll tell you more about them in another post.

image

First thing I did was getting my lights to see how it would look like, haha!

image

Now with the pod I could go on with the wiring. Measuring the wires to fit on a nice way into the pod. I didn’t want wires all over the place. Before I started on the wiring I did some research on how things work with relays and fuses and made this scheme to get insight on how everything is connected. Note: the red wires connected on relay pin 30 come from the battery, the fuse is near the battery and not in the scheme. The switch has it’s own wires, only the + for the relay is needed inside the lamp pod, the rest will be behind the dashboard.

lamppod

The original gas-discharge lights in the Prodrive pod do have a lot of wiring, check it out:

gDW7gAwfkuY

Here’s mine:

image

image

And with the relays installed. Due to final installation into the lamp pod I quickly connected a few cables. They will be all covered up once the pod is painted. I need to drill a hole underneath to run the main cable through as well.

image

But for now I just check if the whole setup works…

image

… Yes!!

image

Now let’s check the fitment of the pod on the car as well. I think it does but for now the roobar is in the way. Fortunately I’m not planning to run the Safari spec and the Night setup at the same time… before I can run it seperately I need to make some adjustments on the air intake as well. It is a closed system since I made the airbox, but it does require the hood snorkel to have the car breathing. I need a secondary airhose from the right bumper vent up to the airbox I think.

image

image

So this almost concludes this article, but while saving this post as a draft over and over again I got bored and did some more work on the pod.

Drilled the holes for the DZUS latches:

image

image

image

Sanded and filled some imperfections on the pod, a few steps closer to get in painted.

image

 

See alse...