Project Subaru WRC S5 lamp pod (part 4)

This project is still in progress, there is more work to to then I initially calculated but that’s fine. If you just found this post and do not know what is going on, feel free to read: part onepart two and part three first.

Step by step this project reaches it’s end. I finally found some time to mount the pod and a few minutes to write about it. As I did a few more projects on the bonnet in the past I wasn’t afraid to add some more holes to it (Pssstt, it isn’t the last bonnet project as well ;-)). Started to measure it and marking the spots:

image

I even felt being a pro by not covering the paint at all…I used air to blow the metal drilling residue right off. Within half an hour I had 4 perfect holes, no dents or scratches:

image

Like on the snorkel project I used rivnuts. The bolts of the pod need to be removed for MOT as it isn’t allowed to have ‘sharp’ objects on the bonnet.

image

Bolted the slidelatch barrels onto the bonnet:

image

Clean!

image

Time to try the pod on:

image

It fit’s quite good. I had to use a few spacers on underneath the barrels to reach the latch at the correct height but it holds it very well. On a real WRC car they need to open the hood with the OEM stick, but my gas struts hold the whole combination just fine:

image

image

I made a test ride aound the block. No sounds on bumby roads so far, I’ll keep an eye out when I have them installed as I don’t want them to ruin the front bumper. If it bounces I’ll need some brackets to hold in down on the bumper. Prodrive did add those on on the 2003 WRC lamppods but not on the S5 – S8.

Some photo’s on a better spot:

image

image

image

And my view:

image

I haven’t driven it with 200 km/h yet…but if you wonder if it blocks the IC, not sure how much BHP loss it is but it holds up to 140 just fine by quick acceleration. But I’m not a rally driver, nor an engine expert nor a racer. I’ll see how it holds up and if I like the way the car feels. If you think I should run a front mount IC: sponsor me!

Next write-up will be the wiring for the lamp pod. Once working the project will be finished! Cheers.

See alse...