WRC S5 vents

At the end of 2015 I recieved a set of WRC S5 vents from Russia. I had to wait to get them painted along with the lamp pod. As I’m pretty busy at the moment and installation required good weather it was kind of hard to make a plan. At first I wanted to present them during the Luxembourg tour but that didn’t happen due to a lot of rain. Fortunately it finally happend!

In my article about the differences in vents I showed you the WRC vents are a lot bigger compared to the OEM vents. This means cutting the hood is required. Here’s a short photo ‘walk through’ of the installation.

As I do this all alone, I couldn’t take the bonnet off. So I covered everything, starting with the engine:

image

image

image

image

image

Now I marked both vent area’s with tape. I did a lot of measurements on both sides to have them lined-up. The side of the snorkel was leading in this process. I had to move the vents about 10mm down to original WRC placement as the snorkel was measured to the old 22B vents. But not a big issue for me.

image

image

image

When in place, I draw a line around the vents and marked the inside. Cutting will be in the middle of both lines. Added more protection before cutting.

image

Now this was the hardest part. The weather was great but I can guarantee my sweat wasn’t from the sun haha!

image

It went so slowly! But the cutting needed to be perfect, otherwise I might be in need of a new bonnet… Lucky for me the first one came out great.

image

image

The bonnet has two layers. Wasn’t looking that great, second layer had to go too.

image

image

With both sides cut I gave the edges an anti rust treatment and spray painted them black (as well for the visual parts of the reinforcement layer of the bonnet).

image

Cleaned all a bit.

image

And mounted the vents!

image

image

image

image